May 7, 2010

Pay It Forward No. 1

Today I gave away my first Pay It Forward card!

There's a catering truck that comes to our workplace for breakfast and lunch everyday, Eddie the driver allows us to carry tabs. So today, I decided I would pay someone else's tab besides my own as my first contribution.

Eddie told me how much I owed, and I said, "I want to pay someone else's too." He asked me "Whose?"

I said, "I don't know. Pick one." As a woman in a mostly male workforce, I figured this was the best way to protect myself against misunderstood gestures.

Eddie began looking over his list, then he stopped. "Wait a minute. I don't understand."

I showed him the Pay It Forward card, he began to smile widely and laugh as he read it. He grinned at me. "Okay."

He looked over his list again, picked someone, then changed his mind. "No, let's give it to this person."

The person's tab he chose to add to mine was a small amount, less than $10. But even though it was a small generosity, it was appreciated by the recipient and totally made Eddie's day too from the way he was smiling! And it the first small step forward for me in my giving goals, and for this fellowship.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Ghandi